300g skinless boneless cod salt fish
3 cloves garlic
3 sprigs of thyme
3 sprigs of parsley
3 spring onions
1 small onion
1 1/4 cups of flour
2 tsps baking powder
3/4 cup of milk
3/4 cup of water
1 tbsp bajan pepper sauce (optional)
1/2 tsp black pepper (approximately)
salt to taste
Sunflower oil for deep frying
kitchen roll for soaking up excess oil
1. prepare the salt fish by either soaking over night or boiling, I chose the boiling method. Place in a pan with enough water (approximately 6 1/2 cups) to cover the saltfish and bring to the boil for 10 minutes, drain the water then repeat the process this time with a little less water and leaving for 1/2 hour then drain.
2. flake the salt fish using your fingers or a fork then set aside in a large bowl.
3. Finely chop onions, spring onions, garlic, thyme and parsley (ensure that the thyme and parsley stalks have been removed and discarded prior to chopping).
4. Place all the ingredients, including the chopped ingredients, into the bowl with the salt fish and mix until you have a thick batter.
5. Heat a large pan of sunflower oil to a medium heat.
6. Place teaspoon fulls of the batter into the oil (they will sink to the bottom then float so don't worry) heat until golden brown ensuring to turn them regularly to avoid the outside browning before the inside is cooked.
7. Once cooked place in a bowl with kitchen paper to drain excess oil. Serve as they are or with a dip of your choice. (makes approximately 30)
Have you had bajan fish cakes before?
Enjoy! Don't forget to come back and let me know how you got on.