Anything that can't be picked up by a hoover or a good old broom has remained below the surface, until now. The lovely people at rug doctor sent me a machine to borrow and review and I was very excited at the prospect of having clean carpets. I'd seen the photos of previously dirty cream carpets coming up looking as clean as the day they were purchased and I wanted in. Rug doctor doesn't make any miracle working claims, all they say is that they are they UK's best and most cost effective carpet cleaner.
I cleared the room, which was hard work and took some pictures of my carpet before I started to make sure I had some evidence of the difference.
I then had to figure out how to use it. The machine and bottle of carpet cleaner have plenty of instructions on use and the Rug Doctor website explains how to use it as well as offering a YouYube video for the more visual learners among us.
So how did I find it?
- It was noisy. Not that it matters much but it meant that my plans to clean overnight whilst the children were in bed did not work out as I would have had hate mail from the neighbours.
- It is heavy, taking it out of the box was not an easy job but it is not so heavy that it makes it difficult to use, in fact when in use you hardly notice the weight as the wheels and adjustable handle make it easy for you to pull along.
- If your your carpets are heavily stained you can't just rely on their carpet detergent, you may need some of their other products (they do recommend you pre-treating any problem areas with the appropriate Rug Doctor cleaning products) and as I was only sent the carpet detergent I can't comment on how effective they would have been.
- It really does lift out a lot of dirt, I went over my carpets on 3 separate occasions to try and get the best clean possible and the amount of dirt in the dirty water tank shows just how much work the Rug Doctor is doing (and just how dirty my carpets were.)
- The instructions on the products and the machine itself are clear and easy to use.
- There is plenty of advice on the website on how to use the Rug Doctor correctly.
- The prices to rent the rug doctor are very reasonable (under £30 for 24 hour rental and cleaning solution) and you can rent them from many stores (store locators can also be found on their website)
My mum put the furniture back before I had the chance to take photos of the empty room but I have taken some pictures of spots that were stained so you get an Idea of the type of cleaning you can expect just by using the carpet detergent.
|The top photos are before and the bottom ones after|
Although it wasn't a perfect clean there was a huge amount of difference. "Even the best vacuum cleaners remove only a fraction of the deep down dirt, mildew, pet waste, dust mites and other allergens lurking in your carpet." And if that is not reason enough to rent a Rug Doctor, I don't know what is.
This is a review post, I was not paid to write this post however I was loaned a free Rug Doctor for the purposes of the review, all opinions are my own.