This cake was not perfect but then again neither am I. It tastes nice and I had fun making it so thought I'd share the recipe with you.
You will need:
175g softened butter
175g caster sugar
150g plain chocolate
100g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1. Heat the oven to gas mark 4 and butter line a cake tin.
2. Start preparation for the cake by grinding the hazelnuts in a food processor (or you could save time by buying pre-ground nuts)
3. chop the chocolate into small pieces and melt in a bain-marie, once melted set aside.
4. Using a whisk beat together the butter and sugar, gradually add the eggs and continue to beat.
5. Once the mixture is light and fluffy fold in the hazelnuts and chocolate.
6. Sift the flour and baking powder and add to the mixture.
7. Poor the mixture into the baking tin and bake for 45-55 minutes or until firm to the touch.
8. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before turning out of the tin, cut and serve with ice-cream or cream (if desired).
This recipe was adapted from Good Food magazine January 2006