A few weeks ago I made a lovely vegetarian soup, it was so lovely that even my fussy toddler who refuses to touch fruit or vegetables finished his bowl full and went in for seconds.
Now when it comes to baking I'm very particular about the recipes because you do one one thing wrong and you could have a complete disaster on your hands (or a masterpiece depending on how you view things.) However when cooking family meals I experiment, I taste as I go along and I work out what flavours work for me and my little family.
The ingredients for the soup (six servings) were as follows:
- 250g of mixed veg
- 100g mushrooms
- 3/4 squash peeled and chopped into large cubes
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 chili pepper chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 red onion sliced
- 3 spring onions chopped
- 2 English potatoes cut in half
- 100g spinach
- 1tbs mixed herbs
- 250ml vegetable stock
- salt and black pepper to taste
- A little oil
- Ensure all vegetables are washed.
- Heat the oil in a deep soup pan and gently fry the onions, garlic, chili pepper and red pepper until soft.
- Add 100ml of water and bring to the boil.
- Add the potatoes, squash zucchini and stock boil for 10 minutes
- Add the remaining ingredients, leaving only the spinach, leave to simmer checking to ensure the vegetables are cooked properly.
- 2 minutes before you take it off the heat add the spinach.
- blend half the soup to create a mixed textured soup.
- serve with Ryvita, bread or whatever tickles your fancy!